Michael Gill was born in England in 1929. He came to Arran with his family and began making jewellery in 1957. He was noted for using polished Arran stones in his works.
His parents founded the St. Columba's workshop in Whiting Bay which later came to be known as The Arran Gallery. Michael sold his jewellery here before setting up another workshop in Whiting Bay. In the late seventies he left Arran to go to Kirckudbright where he pursued his work. He died in 2020.